Phone: (703) 993-1859
Office Location: Enterprise Hall 214
Office Hours: By appointment
Masoud Yasai is a professor of management at George Mason University's School of Business. Prior to joining George Mason, he was a professor of organizations and strategic management at the School of Business Administration, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Yasai holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the Imperial College of Science and Technology at the University of London, a master's degree in administrative sciences, and a PhD in management studies from the City University Business School in London.
Yasai's research interest focuses on the contingency theory of organizations. Areas of emphasis include strategic and structural responses to environments, strategy-structure alignments, designs for effective environmental scanning systems and strategic planning processes, and applications of contingency perspective across disciplines such as management of information systems, and adoption of innovations.
He has presented his research at international conferences and has published numerous articles in management journals including Academy of Management Journal, Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Journal of Management, Journal of Management Studies, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Management Information Systems Quarterly, Decision Sciences, and Management Science.
Yasai teaches a variety of courses in the strategic management area including strategy formulation and implementation, strategic planning, and customized executive development programs in strategy. He is the recipient of the Executive MBA Class of 2002 Outstanding Instructor Award. Yasai conducts strategic planning workshops for senior executives. He also facilitates strategic planning and assists in development of strategic plans for private and public sector organizations.
- Contingency theory of organizations
- Strategic and structural responses to environments
- Adoption of innovations
- PhD - Management Studies, City University Business School
- MS - Administrative Science, City University Business School
- BE - Electrical Engineering, University of London
Research and Awards
- Published an article titled, “Digital Systems and Competitive Responsiveness: The Dynamics of IT Business Value” in Information & Management in 2014
(with coauthors Amit Dutta and Hun Lee).
- Published an article titled, “Digital Systems and Competitive Responsiveness: The Dynamics of IT Value” in Information & Management in 2014 (with colleagues Hun Lee and Amit Dutta).
- Presented the paper titled “Compete or Forbear? The Effects of Competitive Advantage, Complementarities and Multimarket Contact” (with Chi-Hyon Lee and Hun Lee)at the Academy of Management BPS Division in San Antonio, Texas in 2011.
- Presented the paper titled “Compete or Forbear? Disentangling the Effects of Competitive Advantage, Complementarities and Multimarket Contact” at the Mid-Atlantic Strategy Colloquium in College Park, Maryland and at the Academy of Management Annual Conference in San Antonio, Texas.
- Published an article titled, “Identifying and Analyzing Extremes: Illustrated by CEOs' Pay and Performance” (with coauthors) in Organizational Research Methods.
- Published an article titled, “Executives' Perceived Environmental Uncertainty Shortly After 9/11” (with coauthors) inComputational Statistics and Data Analysis.
- Strategic management